Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Routines

Some might say that routines make the world go 'round.  Not me.  Nope, I say that routines keep the world stable and firmly in place.  My lad is a huge fan of routines and plans.  He always has a plan, and if he can't set the plan he needs to know what the plan is going to be.  Start to finish... if I could tell him when all pee breaks were intended to take place I'm sure that would only raise my plan/routine plotting to a whole new delightful level for him.

Today saw a routine change, and it was not well received.  Mitul is traveling for business, and mornings are his thing.  These two boys have their routine and it runs smoothly.  I don't stick my face in it; except for when there is travel involved.  So today my face was all there.

First, I kiboshed the TV watching and asked him to read a book while I made his breakfast.  This was a hard sell, but he did give in after much debate and worry.  During the breakfast consumption he let me know that he thought it was better when I followed Daddy's routine.  And I calmly explained that when I do mornings with him, I have to get us both ready and that I would make some changes to help that happen.  Things were going fine, time was ticking down, and then I asked him to put on his socks and shoes.  O. M. G.  This was clearly a huge error.... there were many questions and then his hands started moving.... and his shook quickly side to side.  And he panicked and asked if we were leaving now, or something?? I tried to explain that it would just be easier, but to no avail...the hand moving, head shaking, and bargaining, confusing got louder and louder.  Then it happened.  I shouted at him to put on his socks at least!  And that little head stopped moving.  He looked at me with huge eyes and the corners of his mouth down turned, and he shouted back 'I just want to understand why'.  I felt like a real jerk.  Shouting at my lad never helps, it just raises his anxiety.  Not my best moment... but I'll tell you what, he put on his socks.

No comments: